You want your organization or business to be the best that it can be. Two things lie at the heart of every successful enterprise:
- A clear mission supported by solid, achievable strategies.
- Employees who are fully engaged.
We can help you achieve both.
We offer customized strategic planning and organizational development services that are effective, affordable, and timely, with results that are relevant and sustainable.
Our clients are organizations and businesses of all types and sizes, including nonprofits, for-profits, and social enterprises – public and private sector. We also provide coaching support for individuals.
We work primarily in the New England – New York corridor.
Start with why. Figure out how. Coninuously adapt.
Strategic planning aligns activities with mission. Our approach is to offer the type of strategic planning that best fits your needs and timeframe. We know that you don’t have the time or resources for cumbersome processes that result in lots of paper, but little progress. The following three methods have proven successful and can be modified to better address your particular circumstances.
One-day Intensive Workout
This full or half-day session with your board or senior team focuses on alignment of your mission and activities. In this session, we examine:
- How do your programs, services, or products reinforce or deviate from your primary purpose or mission?
- How does your organizational culture support your progress?
- Are there new strategies that should be considered?
- How can your mission, goals, activities, and culture be better aligned?
The Intensive Workout covers a great deal of information in a short timeframe. It is useful for organizations—large or small—that want to jump start a strategic planning process or take a fresh look at current operations. Deliverables include advance preparation, facilitation, and a written summary of the results.
Rapid Strategy Review
This accelerated review focuses on the big picture and the concrete steps to get there. Through a series of 3-5 meetings within three months, we will:
- Review your vision and mission.
- Identify key issues.
- Develop specific strategies to achieve results.
This process is useful for organizations that desire a short, accelerated planning timeframe and a concise written plan that sets or confirms direction and key strategies.
Comprehensive Strategic Planning
This longer-term (6-12 month) process is useful for organizations that need an in-depth strategic planning process that involves stakeholders such as Board, staff, and/or external parties. The resulting comprehensive plan will guide decision-making and enable you to effectively leverage new opportunities and respond to emerging challenges. During the process, we will:
- Analyze your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats (SWOT).
- Review relevant information such as bylaws, legal requirements, financial projections, and industry trends.
- Interview internal and/or external stakeholders.
- Identify priorities and set goals.
- Develop specific strategies and actions.
- Determine measures of success and evaluation loop.
The result is a detailed plan that will guide decision-making, invigorate board and staff, and align effort. In addition, this well-written plan can be used as a communication tool for external stakeholders including funders or investors.
High Performance Organizations
To be successful, you need an engaged board and staff. This is achievable in every organization or business. The good news is that much progress can be made with relatively modest intervention and support.
We conduct confidential interviews with selected stakeholders, e.g., board members, senior managers, staff, and/or external stakeholders and summarize the information by key themes. (The information contained in the summary is not attributed to specific individuals.) We also develop recommendations that will enable you to take specific action to build on your strengths and address any challenges.
We assist board members, CEO’s, and senior managers to maximize individual effectiveness. Paramount in effective coaching is establishing a trusting, supportive, confidential, candid, and solution-oriented relationship. Sustainable progress typically requires small changes that show results and build confidence. The process typically involves setting short and long-term goals, identifying strategies and actions, and meeting periodically to support continued progress.
state & county governments
- Over ten years consulting in a wide-range of organizations.
- Appointed by Maine Governor Angus S. King as Commissioner of Labor.
- Appointed by Massachusetts Governor Jane Swift to the MassPort Commission, created in response to the events of September 11, 2001 to improve leadership and operations at MassPort, which has oversight for Logan Airport.
- Appointed by Maine Governor John E. Baldacci to examine how best to consolidate the state’s two largest human services agencies.
- Executive Director of a multi-faceted nonprofit organization providing services for people with disabilities.
- Involved in all facets of social enterprise development, management, and operations.
- Served on a variety of boards and commissions ranging from higher education to smart growth to human services.
- Speaker on mission-focused strategies and social entrepreneurship.
- B.A. from the University of Massachusetts-Amherst and an M.A. from the Edmund S. Muskie School of Public Service.
Reaching your mission is our passion.
- Valerie Landry
- 120 Exchange Street, Suite 208
- Portland, Maine 04101